Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Giant Whelks

I was reading this article about art for another class and thought the following quote was interesting:
Roy Lichtenstein’s huge paintings of comic-book panels “are not imitations but new entities, as giant whelks would be” (p. 36). ...
My first thought on reading this was, "what's a whelk?" I looked it up, and it's a seashell! So, I think the point of that part of the article is this: to create an object in a scale that removes that object from it's original category of designation is a method of creating a new entity.

I just googled "giant whelks" and got a hit for a summary of the Arthur Danto article it came from.

So, what am I thinking in reference to my capstone? Well, it just made me think that I can create seashells myself, and giant ones at that! And by doing that, I am creating a new entity. And then I could use the Bone Conductive Technology with the giant shells, which would look similar in use to the Ibuki installation I posted about a couple posts ago. That's just the image I have in my head at the moment though, so it could be more different than that. Like, I don't know if I'd want the sound to be conducted through the chin or possible some other place on the body. That would be a good thing to look up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home