Video Installation
I had this idea for a video installation: Display 2 videos side by side. Make time flow of one fast, the other slow. OR make one right side up the other upside down (like reflections on the front and back of a spoon, or the way things really are vs. the way our eyes see them.) I could time the videos to have interaction between them, e.g. an image of a person could walk off the screen on the right and onto the screen on the left, but would reverse in transition. Could one screen subsist w/o the other? I could have one video appear to be loosing it’s “energy” until some image from the other video flows into it and gives it life again. This transferring back of forth of energy will continue throughout the piece.
a. Could integrate natural themes by using falling snow/petals as one representation of the loss of energy.
b. Could integrate sound by increasing volume or something (or decreasing) as energy loss of video begins to peak.
c. This idea reminds me of those books that are in fact two books. The book is divided in two, one half is right side up, the other is upside down. I could potentially create an accompanying book of still images based on the video project that use this format.
d. Maybe have the sound of a heartbeat (an in utero heartbeat?) almost imperceptably playing. Have the sound increase as the energy(the brightness, speed of change etc.) from one of the videos dims and slows. (p.13/14 in coin locker babies.)
I read about one video installation artist, Gary Hill, who made a piece where ghostly figures are triggered to stand and approach the viewer whenever they move. I thought the idea of viewer movement triggering video response was interesting. He is said to combine strong elements of video, sculpture, audio, spoken text, and written text. I would like to do a very mixed media approach like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hill
I found this list of video artist masters which seems like it would be a great resource for inspiration for this project:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Visual_Arts/Video_Art/Artists/Masters/
I was really drawn to the work of Douglas Gordon, although I haven’t actually experienced any of his video installations, I like his general themes of memory and emotional response, as well as his tendency to make commentaries on media culture. I like the way he will produce a series of works with minor variations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Gordon
I don’t know how to make a video installation really Push the Envelope. All I can think is to combine a variety of innovative ideas that have already been used by practicing video artists. I think my idea of making images from the video flow between screens could be original though…sure, you can move your mouse between two apple screens, but has anyone yet applied that technique to video? Beats me!
a. Could integrate natural themes by using falling snow/petals as one representation of the loss of energy.
b. Could integrate sound by increasing volume or something (or decreasing) as energy loss of video begins to peak.
c. This idea reminds me of those books that are in fact two books. The book is divided in two, one half is right side up, the other is upside down. I could potentially create an accompanying book of still images based on the video project that use this format.
d. Maybe have the sound of a heartbeat (an in utero heartbeat?) almost imperceptably playing. Have the sound increase as the energy(the brightness, speed of change etc.) from one of the videos dims and slows. (p.13/14 in coin locker babies.)
I read about one video installation artist, Gary Hill, who made a piece where ghostly figures are triggered to stand and approach the viewer whenever they move. I thought the idea of viewer movement triggering video response was interesting. He is said to combine strong elements of video, sculpture, audio, spoken text, and written text. I would like to do a very mixed media approach like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hill
I found this list of video artist masters which seems like it would be a great resource for inspiration for this project:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Visual_Arts/Video_Art/Artists/Masters/
I was really drawn to the work of Douglas Gordon, although I haven’t actually experienced any of his video installations, I like his general themes of memory and emotional response, as well as his tendency to make commentaries on media culture. I like the way he will produce a series of works with minor variations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Gordon
I don’t know how to make a video installation really Push the Envelope. All I can think is to combine a variety of innovative ideas that have already been used by practicing video artists. I think my idea of making images from the video flow between screens could be original though…sure, you can move your mouse between two apple screens, but has anyone yet applied that technique to video? Beats me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home