Seashells audio installation idea
I had this one idea for a project involving seashells. I would try to figure out a way to play sounds thru them, (hopefully wirelessly), but not so loud that you would hear it just standing next to them. I would want them to play some kind of unexpected sounds when you hold them up to your ear; I have a lot of ideas of what those soulds could be, some of which are: various nature sounds (except the ocean), non-peaceful sounds, a medley of words, sound picked up from mics somewhere, or maybe prayers of some kind (maybe chanting monks or something). I think this idea would need more to it, but this is the gist of it for now.
I found one example of a product/project online that someone else had proposed involving seashells. The idea is an mp3 player incased in a natural object, the examples being a seashell or an animal skull. One person suggested powering it with a tiny battery or shaken coil and supercapacitator.
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/seashell_20mp3_20player
I found another example of an art installation involving seashells in which the artist created a sculpture of some French icon, (the Belle Epoque lady?), using seashells. I thought this might be cool, to combine the idea with my own. I could make a sculpture out of wired seashells, so you could still put your ear up to the piece and listen to it. The description of the piece is under the 5th bullet point at the following link:
http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/reviews/davis/davis12-17-04.asp
So, how would I push the envelope? I think that maybe combining the idea of seashell sculpture with miniature audio devices installed in them may be doing just that. I was unable to find anything else online that was really the same. I do think making anything multi-sensual is an envelope-pushing mechanism, so maybe I could do that as well.
I found one example of a product/project online that someone else had proposed involving seashells. The idea is an mp3 player incased in a natural object, the examples being a seashell or an animal skull. One person suggested powering it with a tiny battery or shaken coil and supercapacitator.
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/seashell_20mp3_20player
I found another example of an art installation involving seashells in which the artist created a sculpture of some French icon, (the Belle Epoque lady?), using seashells. I thought this might be cool, to combine the idea with my own. I could make a sculpture out of wired seashells, so you could still put your ear up to the piece and listen to it. The description of the piece is under the 5th bullet point at the following link:
http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/reviews/davis/davis12-17-04.asp
So, how would I push the envelope? I think that maybe combining the idea of seashell sculpture with miniature audio devices installed in them may be doing just that. I was unable to find anything else online that was really the same. I do think making anything multi-sensual is an envelope-pushing mechanism, so maybe I could do that as well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home