Friday, September 29, 2006

Laurie Anderson: installation artist















I found this installation artist I liked named Laurie Anderson, especially for this project she did in the 70's called "handphone table". It is a regular table wired to deliver recorded sounds thru your armbones when you place them on the table. Here is an informative link.
Another work she did which I thought was interesting was called "Dark Dogs, American Dreams." She hung a bunch of blurry photos on the wall, (of a waitress, a mailman, etc.), and then had tiny versions of the photos repeated in a console in the center of the room. When you pushed a button next to the tiny version, a recording of the person in the photo recounting a dream was played. I thought this last one was more interesting because it had more meaning - it was darkly funny and ironic too. I couldn't find any images from the installation online, but it doesn't really matter. I wonder how she did the audio, like, did people put on headphones to hear the dreams or did they just play out of the console, or what?

I like what she says about interactivity in an interview here.
"I'm not thrilled with interactive stuff right now. People assume that if you push a button something's going to happen. It's not a thrill anymore. It doesn't give anybody a sense of control at all. I think it actually takes that away in a funny kind of way. You don't know what's going to happen when you push the button anyway. The illusion that you're doing something doesn't mean you control it. I'm more interested in a loss of control. I'm interested in viewers losing their expectations."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home